Taster's Choice: Kaetsu Shuzo's Kanbara Bride of the Fox Junmai Ginjo

picture source: http://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/07/19/kitsune-no-yomeiri-the-fox-wedding/

Niigata's Kaetsu Shuzo makes a number of different sake under a couple of different meigara, but from my own travels, it seems like their Kanbara sake is more widely distributed, at least in the US. It is also memorable for its unique name and the tale from  Japanese folklore that inspired the name.

picture source: http://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/07/19/kitsune-no-yomeiri-the-fox-wedding/

Last January I had a chance to try the Kanbara Bride of the Fox junmai ginjo sake, but it was one of many that I tried within the course of a day, and I must admit, my impressions were left there in Tokyo. I knew I liked it, but I couldn't tell anyone much more about it. So, I permitted myself to take the Bride of the Fox out on a second date.



On opening the bottle:

I noted a cool, almost cherry-like aroma coming out of the bottle.

On the first taste:

This is very soft, and light sake with a blooming sweetness.  The sake leaves the palate with a long low bow. What a nice finish!

On second sip:

The sweetness and crisp, bright note is backed by a lingering dryness.

On the third taste, nose in the glass:

There is a faint musk of ripe peach, and a subtle nuttiness on the palate- pistachio.

Overall-

This is a Niigata sake in body: clean and light, but with more pronounced flavors than many others I have tried, notable for its sweetness and its delicate flavors that linger like shadows in the background.






Comments

  1. Is this the one we drank on the second night? I remember there was a Niigata standout....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so , from the second night. It's very tasty.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts