Did You Know: Shizuoka Sake - The Cream of Japan


Do you ふぐ ? (Kyoto)

For someone who lives in the mountains of the Eastern United States, the internet is a crucial source of information to quench my thirst for all things sake. There are many blogs devoted to sake around the world, but rare are those based in Japan that are a) in English  and b) not in Tokyo. So when I found one that's based in Shizuoka Prefecture, I got especially excited.

It's called Shizuoka Sake: The Cream of Japan. It is a treasure trove, and I encourage you to dive in when you have some time to spare.  Its one of the few blogs I actually subscribe to.

You'll find it here.

The author of this blog, dragonlife, is a dedicated explorer of the 地酒 jizake of Shizuoka, which is a special place for sake.  Shizuoka Prefecture is on the Eastern coast of Honshu with its feet wrapped around Suruga Bay to the south, and its shoulders up into the Japanese Alps in the north.

Having spent most of my time in Osaka, Kyoto, Wakayama, and Tokyo, I can only know Shizuoka by what I've read in books and learned in class.

But, I have had the sake.

Shizuoka sake has a reputation for being eminently drinkable, something which suits the drinking culture said to thrive there. Its mild acidity, light nose, and generally light body are well suited to a prefecture that has both high mountains and ample coastline. I would imagine the food there to be quite varied based on the geography- bold flavors of highland cuisine to the delicacies of the sea, a balanced, versatile sake would do well there. Of course it's probably true that not every sake there drinks this way, which is another reason to follow this blog. It really covers a diverse range of sake.

I've only tried a few Shizuoka sake myself, but have been very impressed by them.

Wakatake 'Onna Nakase' Junmai Daiginjo really won me over with its light aromatics, balance, and inviting sweetness.

I've also had the privilege to try the Tokubetsu Honjozo from Isojiman , in Shizuoka's Yaizu City.

At Sasagin  笹吟 in Tokyo, my classmates and I finished a memorable meal and sake tasting with Shizuoka's Kaiun Junmai Ginjo. This was a rich junmai ginjo that was like a delicate dessert in a glass.

John Gauntner introduces another fine sake at Sasagin 笹吟

I know some of these are favorites of my SPC classmate and fellow blogger Slava B. over at Sake Guide in Australia.

So if you haven't done so by now, please give this blog a look, you won't be sorry.

P.S.

If you're really into Shizuoka sake, than see also Passionate Foodie's Shizuoka Sake post  here.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Domenic you are right! I loved Shizuoka sake, must be something in the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slava, there is a lot to like. Wish I could find some of your favorites here, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts