Not Your Grandfather's Masu

Do you enjoy drinking sake from a masu (枡升)

Do you enjoy drinking sake at night?

If so, you'll be excited to learn that there is now a masu just for you.



Asahi Shimbun article here.

The hikari masu (光枡) is made by Ohashi Ryoki, and appears to change color depending on how you hold it. 

Sounds perfect for a starry night in the rotenburo (露天風呂).

It does beg the question of, where do we go from here? An e-masu with bluetooth connectivity?

Now if this high-tech, guilding of the lily is just too much for you, you might just try a "conventional" masu from the same masu maker, albeit one designed for a modern interior decor.



Asahi Shimbun article here.

Call me old fashioned, but I find the simplicity of the masu beauty in and of itself that needs no embellishment. I like seeing the joinery and finish of a simple, unadorned masu. For me, it's as timeless as a crystal wine glass. But that doesn't mean that if you got me one of these for Christmas, I'd re-gift it.

I would happily pour some Tamano Hikari into my hikari masu.

But to each his or her own. If this adds to or subtracts from, or distracts from the experience of enjoying sake is certainly debatable.

If it turns more people on to sake, I am for it.

How do you feel about it?

Comments

Popular Posts